||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

advertisement
advertisement

Class 7 student allegedly abused for a year inside Odisha school, five staff members arrested

Minor’s disclosure to mother triggers POCSO case; senior police team deployed to oversee high-sensitivity probe.

EPN Desk 22 February 2026 06:18

allegedly sexually assaulting

In a deeply disturbing case from Kendrapara district, police on February 21 arrested four teachers and a peon of a private English-medium school for allegedly sexually assaulting a Class 7 student repeatedly over more than a year.

The case surfaced after the minor confided in her mother last month, recounting what the family has described as a prolonged ordeal marked by intimidation and silence. The family approached the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) on February 18, triggering official intervention.

Advertisement

Treating the matter as “highly sensitive,” CWC members visited the school a day after receiving the complaint. Police subsequently registered a case under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, launching a formal investigation.

Kendrapara Superintendent of Police Siddharth Kataria said the victim’s statement has been recorded and five individuals associated with the school — named in the FIR — have been arrested. They are scheduled to be produced before a court on Sunday.

“Given the sensitivity of the case, senior officials from headquarters who are part of the crime against women team are being deputed to monitor and supervise the investigation,” Kataria said, underscoring heightened oversight.

Police sources confirmed that all mandated legal procedures, particularly those involving minor survivors under POCSO, are being strictly followed.

According to the complaint, the student was allegedly assaulted repeatedly by teachers over an extended period. The family has further alleged that certain staff members, including a woman teacher, shielded the accused and failed to act. The accused are also alleged to have threatened the minor to prevent her from speaking out.

The family has claimed that school authorities did not respond adequately even after being informed. However, the school principal maintained that the institution became aware of the allegations only after the complaint was filed with the CWC.

“The facts will be known after a detailed investigation,” the principal said.

The arrests have sent shockwaves through the district, raising troubling questions about institutional accountability.

Also Read


    advertisement